by Matt Yocum
Expand your toolkit with these freelancing tips and tricks.
Sound artist Matt Yocum (The Last of Us, Hotel Transylvania 4) joins us for another exclusive tutorial, explaining the ins and outs of freelancing. Whether you're early in your freelancing career, or just starting to think about jumping in, this tutorial will give you the keys to successfully navigate the world of freelancing.
In this detailed video tutorial, Matt shares his freelance experience, and gives advice on how beginners can set themselves up for success using networking, a learning mindset, and strong communication skills.
Follow along as Matt breaks down his freelancing tips:
- 00:00:00 – Intro
- 00:01:17 – Networking is key
- 00:03:59 – No client is too small
- 00:05:33 – Continue to invest in your toolset
- 00:07:43 – Keep learning and always be willing to adapt
- 00:10:46 – Defining the scope of a new project
- 00:14:54 – Negotiating budgets and rates
- 00:20:09 – Understanding end goals and revisions
- 00:21:45 – Put everything in writing
- 00:26:58 – Outro
Freelancing is a daunting and sometimes terrifying world to dive into, but it can also be extremely rewarding. It really just takes gaining experience at the end of day. The more you do it, the more confident you will become in yourself and your craft. Just make sure that you understand your value as an artist, and know that there are people who are willing to help you along your journey.
Enjoy the process!
Matt Yocum is a freelance sound designer based out of Los Angeles.